The Unauthorized Investigator's Guide to
The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints

Lesson 4

How to Donate Tithes and Offerings

The Missionaries Will Teach...

Tithing and fast offering is voluntary and private and may be paid at any time.  However, it is usually best to pay tithing as income is received and pay fast offerings on the day of the fast.  A tithing slip and envelope is obtained from the bishop.  You fill out the slip, keep the yellow copy for your own records, and put the money and white slip in the envelop and give them to the bishop.  This money is sacred and belongs to God.  The bishopric and clerks keep careful  records of the money you donate.

At the end of each year, members have "tithing settlement" with the bishop.  This means that you go to the bishop's office, review with him the church's record of how much money you donated over the year, and declare to him whether or not you are obeying God by paying a full tithing.  All financial information is kept strictly confidential.

Some Additional Thoughts...

The church keeps careful records of how much you donate, and once a year will sit you down with a priesthood leader representing God.  He will show you a figure and ask you if this is ten-percent of your income.  He will then put into the church's records whether or not you are obeying God in paying a full tithing.  If you have a child who chooses to get married in the Mormon Temple and you are not a full tithe payer, you will be deemed unworthy to go to the temple and witness your child be married.

On the other hand, if you ask the bishop for financial statements of what the church does with the money it collects, he will respectfully tell you that that is none of your business.

It's ironic that a church that wants to know so much about your personal finances is unwilling to disclose the details of its own.


Back Up Next

If you have a question or would like to discuss these topics, I suggest that you go to a Mormon-related bulletin board (here are some recommendations). If you'd like to contact me with comments or feedback, you may send an email to